There is a comparison of the sound quality emitted and the emotion, as well as the face expression of each artist, in the video’s content. However, there is one flaw that viewers are particularly sensitive to, and that is the nasal tone of the actor’s voice (Nasal).
Have you noticed that, while browsing social media networks these days, videos comparing voices of artists, particularly singers, are being recommended (or shared) a lot on Tiktok, Facebook, and other platforms?
So, what exactly is a nasal tone? and how does the nasal quality of the voice effect the overall quality of the music and song? For those of you who are also interested in knowing more about this subject, please join Techsama to find out the solution in the next article.
What exactly is Nasal?
When speaking without elevating the roof of the mouth (or lifting it too low), breathing becomes difficult, and air cannot exit completely to the outer world. This results in a lack of clarity in the sound and a sense of stuffiness in the roof of the nose.
And nasal voices are considered to be technically incorrect since they generate loud, bright sounds that do not meet the degree of perfection that is precisely specified.
Nasal voice, on the other hand, has certain advantages, such as lowering the air pressure below the vocal chords, aiding in the balance of breathing support, and making it easier to achieve high notes.
Pop, rap, choral, and other current music, on the other hand, should refrain from employing Nasal’s voice in their performances, as should other genres.
Many people have become perplexed as to the difference between Twang voice and Nasal nasal voice. A vibrating sound behind the nasal cavity might be the source of the problem.
Twanging is a technique that allows singers to generate high notes that are flexible and enticing by bending their vocal chords. In order to elevate the larynx, twang will be produced in the vocal cords above, at this point the muscles around the mouth will congregate in one spot, squeeze and restrict the space available.
Nasal, on the other hand, is created only when the nostrils are open (that is, when you smell or swallow, the air passes through the damaged neck, and the nostrils are the vents between the nose and the mouth and the damaged neck).
In contrast, if you say the vowels without using your nose and certain consonants that sound unclear are dispersed by your nose, the sound will be less round and more difficult to distinguish.
Reasons for having a nasal voice, number three
Whenever the nasal cavity has an impact on the singing voice, it results in a timbre that is thinner and less round. There are several reasons of nasal voice, including the following:
- Hypernasal deficiency is a congenital condition in which less air goes through the nose, resulting in the sound not resonating sufficiently. A doctor should be consulted in this situation, and a definite course of therapy should be established.
- Because you are unable to manage the compression in your breath, consider the following: As a result, whether you sing or create a sound, whether it is loud or soft, you are unable to fully control the muscles of your mouth and larynx. To put it another way, the breath has not yet made contact with the diaphragm.
- As a result of the differences in mouth shape: The differences here are due to differences in the location of the palate, i.e. the low palate and high larynx are both responsible for nasal sounds.
The singer may also pump too much air into the vocal portion, causing it to become stiff and muffled, resulting in what sounds like a congested nose when she sings in tune.
Exercises that help you develop a nasal tone of voice
It is possible for some people to have a condition in which the roof of the mouth is so low that air cannot pass through it into the nasal cavity. The following are some activities that may be done to aid with this problem:
- Raise your palate whenever you eat, speak, yawn, or move the roof of your mouth. This will assist you in maintaining control over your tone of voice. There is a more mild approach for you to yawn more frequently each day so that you may experience and become accustomed to the sensation of elevating the roof of your mouth more effortlessly.
- When singing, practice pulling your tongue forward so that you don’t breathe too much air via your nose while you are singing. Pay close attention and try imitating the jaw motions of experienced singers to break this tendency once and for all.
- When playing a great song, one of the most important needs is to have complete control over one’s breathing. There are certain exercises, such as practising holding your breath, where you practice holding your breath while pronouncing the letters “a,” I “ê,” “o,” “u,” and “u” without opening your lips, that you may do.
Okay, so you now have a better knowledge of Nasal (nose voice), don’t you think?
People are always a little uneasy when they hear someone speak in a nasal tone. This style, on the other hand, is frequently employed by musicians while playing folk and country tunes.
Because of this, each artist will employ either a nasal or non-nasal delivery based on the type of music and the mood that you want to communicate via the song.
As a result, covering songs from other genres would undoubtedly generate curiosity and, at times, conflicting reactions from the general audience, as seen below. I hope this essay has provided you with a better understanding of nasal voice.
I hope you find this post to be of assistance; best of luck!