FastStone Image Viewer 7.6 is the most recent version of the open-source (for personal use) image viewer for Microsoft Windows devices.
FastStone Image Viewer 7.5 was released in March 2020, and this is the first release since then. While this is a point release, given the additional features and enhancements, it might easily have been a major version release as well.
The official website for FastStone Image Viewer 7.6 is now up. It is available in two versions: a portable version that does not require installation and an installer that does.
Existing users may immediately notice an increase in performance after upgrading to the latest version of the program. The adoption of a new database engine is one of the major improvements in FastStone Image Viewer 7.6. Although the database is unmentioned, the release notes state that it will improve performance, capacity, and reliability. The starting speed of the software, the building of folder trees, and the access to network folders have all been enhanced, and users should notice an improvement in these areas.
The second enhancement is a revised rating system. It’s a simple one, allowing you to rate files on a scale of 1 to 5. By default, rating capability is disabled; choosing Rating > Enable File Rating enables it.
From that point forward, you may use the keyboard keys Alt-1 to Alt-5 to rate files within the program. Ratings can be deleted with the keyboard shortcut Alt-0, or through the right-click menu under Ratings.
Without the ability to filter photographs within the program, the rating system would be ineffective. To view photographs that match a given rating or a rating range, use the new ratings filter option. Apply the filter fast by using the keyboard shortcut Shift-1 to Shift-5; Shift-0 reveals all unrated photos. Additionally, there are options for displaying ratings that are larger than or equal to, or that are less than or equal to, the current rating.
FastStone Image Viewer 7.6 introduces two new sorting modes: date and tagged. When files are transferred or copied, tag and rating information is retained in the database.
Another new setting is “Pre-scan folders into thumbnail databases,” which automatically scans chosen folders or disks even before they are visited by the user. To include these into the automated operation, drive letters or pathways must be introduced. Automatic scanning of subfolders is enabled by default, but may be deactivated in the setup box.
Additionally, FastStone Image Viewer 7.6 includes the following minor updates:
- Center is a new option in Image Strip Builder.
- The size of selected objects is displayed in the status bar.
- Improvements have been made to the three native themes.
- In the Design and Print tool, maintain the Aspect Ratio in addition to the image size.
- Google Maps and Google Earth may be accessed using the hotkeys Ctrl-Shift-M and Ctrl-Alt-M, respectively, for photos that include GPS coordinates.
- The Contact Sheet’s caption, the Slide Show’s text, and the Batch Convert tool now include the EXIF Lens Model option.
- Before thumbnail creation is complete, the images in the current folder may be jumbled.
- Windows View mode: Consolidate two status bars into one to increase the viewing area.
- If more than two monitors are found, a new option to choose the secondary monitor appears under Settings > Dual Monitor.
- Words of Finality
FastStone Image Viewer 7.6 adds numerous significant enhancements to the application. Users should notice performance improvements in a number of critical areas, including application startup and database operations.